Re: Eugene Cohousing (Lynn Dixon)
From: Doug Huston (hustonashlandcoho.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 18:33:19 -0700 (PDT)
I’ve been meaning to chime in but haven’t taken the time until now. I want to
‘pile on,’ as the other writer may perceive it. We built our cohousing on what
was formerly an open lot. I’m gonna guess that most people don’t like losing
their open lot. It afforded a great unimpeded view for those who lived
adjacent, it was a place where dogs could play and poop, and kids could play
there too. There were some large old cottonwoods there too, though some of them
posed a bit of a danger due to the specifics of those trees. We had what seemed
like the typical concerns that would have to do with any new development in
which there was a request for increased density. (And by the way, we live in a
community where ‘that just isn’t done.’) There were concerns about parking
problems, increased traffic, and the “gigantic” buildings that would be built
in the form of townhouses configured in twos (and one with three units). We
worked with the planning department initially, and one duplex was left out on
the street away from the rest of the community, to preserve the streetscape.
This is definitely not a benefit to our cohousing community. I don’t actually
remember if they required it, but we agreed to do it. The neighbors were
divided about whether they supported our cohousing community or not. But many
many neighbors stepped up to the podium at the planning commission hearing to
register their opposition to our request for increased density. Their
opposition came in many forms, some more well-reasoned than others. One
recurrent theme seem to be the concern that it would negatively impact their
house prices. This was slightly ironic, as the surrounding area had been built
as a somewhat affordable neighborhood. Everybody’s house is worth a lot of
money in our town. We met with the neighbors before the planning commission
hearing, and after the planning commission hearing. They wanted us to not have
increased density; they wanted our community to be smaller. As it was, we were
building a 13 unit cohousing community, and any less seemed to not really be
cohousing (per experienced experts in the field). I will say that the
opposition was generally not misinformed. They didn’t say or write letters
about the weird commune or all the vacant vehicles that would be left on the
property or anything wacky like that. They seemed to have informed themselves
fairly well about what cohousing was and  was not. Although it seems like we
made some small compromises, we were not able to accommodate their bigger
concerns, and still be able to build our cohousing community on that property.
They did not oppose cohousing per se; those who opposed it did not want it in
their backyard – as it were.
We lost 5 to 2 at the planning commission hearing. We lost most group members
as a result, and had to re-gather ourselves to consider what to do next.

We read the comprehensive plan for the city more carefully. We hired a lawyer.
We highlighted the ways that our plans were  compatible with the city’s plan
and their values. We pointed out the many benefits of how our community would
be built, as opposed to a more conventional one. We tried to make them walk
their talk. We won fairly easily in  our appeal to the city council.

The local paper did a follow up article about a year after we moved in. They
talked to two of the more vocal opposers. They acknowledged that their
concerns about traffic and parking were generally not realized. They said that
the residents were nice and seemed to ride their bikes a lot. They hated that
they lost their view. For my money, that’s probably about as good as it gets.
People come and go, and many of the neighbors who were there 11 years ago
aren’t even there anymore. I am not aware of any palpable lingering resentment
from the neighbors. Many members have maintained some concern that the fears
that the neighbors expressed wouldn’t transpire – those members are careful and
thoughtful about parking on the street, and traffic. (I am not especially one
of those.)

I want to echo the first-hand experience that many of the people living in
cohousing have shared - that many fears are unfounded, people often are more
likely to actively oppose some kind of different local development than they
are likely to actively support it, that there are some aspects of cohousing
communities that which simply cannot be compromised, and that neighborhood
opposition subsides overtime. To me, we were able to compromise on some things,
and others we were not. The system is set up so that there is a winner and
there is a loser in a hearing like we had. Fortunately, we won. The amount of
time and money that the delay cost myself and the community did not increase my
empathy for the neighbors and their concerns. But it didn’t prevent me from
having any. We have gone out of our way through the years to try and
incorporate neighbors into events, and make it clear that we want to be part of
the larger community. I can find a small part of me that is still resentful
about what I had to go through in the process. I imagine that is true for some
neighbors as well.

One byproduct of my experience is that I became in active letter writer in the
local newspaper. The letters I am referring to were written by me against
neighbors who opposed worthwhile housing projects in their local neighborhoods.
One of them was in a nearby town, and another letter writer wrote back that
“Mr. Huston in Ashland should mind his own business.” The proposed development
was an easy target for neighbor opposition. They were going to pair up former
substance abusers (with a minimum of two years of abstinence) with seniors who
were going to act as mentors to them. The housing would have been subsidized.
It didn’t get built.

The writer below cited reasons why there are not streets running through
cohousing communities. Those weren’t any of the reasons I’m aware of for why
cohousing communities are configured the way they are.

- Doug Huston (Ashland [Oregon] Cohousing Community)

Sent from my iPhone