Re: investing reserve funds
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 05:06:44 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Brian—

From where are you getting your statistic about an 8% inflation rate?   The
current inflation rate is 2.9%.

I’m not an economist and I can barely add or  subtract but I remember the
inflationary days of the early 80s. If the inflation rate was 8% we would see
lending drying up and huge interest rates applied. The feds would be raising
interest rates precipitously.  Our money market funds would be enjoying fat
returns.

In the inflationary days of the early 80s people did buy all kinds of goods and
services trying to beat the inflation rate which of course just kept the
economy heated up.  I bought a house during that time that had a 9% mortgage
interest rate. Lucky to get that. Some people were paying as much as 12%.

I don’t know anything about hedging a bet against inflation by buying now. I’d
be interested in hearing from other folks more in the know than moi.

By the way Brian… Where are you from? And do You have a Cohousing community
with Which you are associated?

Ann Zabaldo
Takomavillage Cohousing
Washington DC