Re: Discussion on inflation and reserve funds
From: Brian Bartholomew (bartholomew.brianyahoo.com)
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 15:42:50 -0700 (PDT)
Recent discussion at home was, do we purchase metal roofing for
anticipated replacement in a year or two in advance of 25% tariff
(tax) on steel imports from China?  We do have a place to store this
indoors to avoid corrosion between sheets from rain and daily
dew/condensation cycle.  It may already be too late, machine tool
importers Grizzly and Smithy have already announced price increases in
response to tariffs.

~~~~~

I found shadowstats.com says "Consumer Price Index Has Been Reconfigured
Since Early-1980s So As to Understate Inflation versus Common Experience":

http://www.shadowstats.com/article/no-438-public-comment-on-inflation-measurement

        With the misused cover of academic theory, politicians forced
        significant underreporting of official inflation, so as to cut
        annual cost-of-living adjustments to Social Security, etc.

The Consumer Price Index switched from cost to buy same items to cost
to have equivalent happiness.  So hamburger could be substituted for
steak without an increase in the cost of living computation.  Plan
your capital replacement strategy accordingly.

Brian