Re: Assisting in resale of homes
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2019 11:41:18 -0800 (PST)
> On Feb 28, 2019, at 12:15 PM, Kay Stewart <kay.stewart [at] suddenlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> Ann Zabaldo presented a session at the National Cohousing Conf. in Nashville
> in 2017 about how Takoma Village assisted cohousing members (or heirs) in
> the sale of their homes along with an invitation for the seller to make a
> gift of 1-3% of the sales price back to the Community.  The Oakcreek Members
> in attendance of that workshop brought  that idea (along with many examples
> of their documents and processes) back to our community and implemented it
> over the following year - creating a Resale Group that functions within our
> Public Relations Team. Over the past two years, we have assisted with the
> resale of 4 homes that are now occupied by persons who really do understand
> cohousing and are productive members of our community.  In addition,
> Oakcreek has received contributions of $15,000 to be used for whatever
> purposes our Members choose. We are indeed delighted with the outcome. If
> this has appeal for your community, check out Ann Zabaldo's session in
> Portland.

I  tried to edit the message above to reply to it but decided to leave it full
on so people might read it again. It’s worth your time. The Takoma Village
Resales and Rentals Pod has done miraculous work and I’m glad to see their
process works for others—the results can be replicated.

They are very organized. When units are available, they consult with the owner
and give advice, hold an open house on a Sunday, offers accepted until
Wednesday, responses due by  Friday. Every once in a while it doesn’t go that
smoothly but it’s amazing that it so often does. It works because they do tours
and information sessions all year and also do pre-member orientation inviting
interested people to workdays, meals, and meetings. (1-2 may attend from time
to time —  we aren’t  overwhelmed by sight-seers.)

It’s the preparation the Pod does that makes the process so smooth. People know
they  want  to live here before a unit is available — they aren’t taking time
to make all the decisions after the fact while the seller is sitting there
being anxious.

And the people who are moving in hit the ground running. There used to be this
big lag time of a months, up to a year or more before it felt like people were
really here and participating. It was hard to tell at first whether they would
be active members  or not. Now it is more common for new owners to start
showing up to work and play _before_ they move in. They don’t move-in as
strangers.

Kudos to Ann Z and the Pod.

Sharon
----