Re: Need Zoning Law Expertise
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 01:27:28 -0700 (PDT)
You are correct:  As I understand it, a condo association managing board can
compel and force payment of annual dues and special assessments, and can
enforce community rules (e.g., no pet alligators), but can NOT require unit
owners or occupants to show up for meetings or take turns mowing the yard.

But my suggestion was different, and was about a redefinition of what happens
in the transition of power from the developer to the unit owners.  I was
suggesting that this transition, rather than arriving immediately at a
conventional managing board, instead vest all power and duty in plenary until
plenary can agree to something else.  This is very cohousing-like, but may, as
an idea, require further work from legal experts.

One of the problems here is that zoning is a very good tool for regulating the
physical attributes of a property, but a very poor tool for regulating behavior
or culture.  However, this does not always prevent localities from trying to
use zoning for lifestyle control, like a provision limiting how many unrelated
adults can live in one dwelling unit.

Thanks,
RPD

PS:  Many cohousing communities discover, sooner or later, that they benefit
from a relationship with a bank that “gets it”.