Re: Managing the Commons [was Who pays the maintenance costs of common washers and dryers?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 08:29:56 -0700 (PDT)
On Apr 8, 2019, at 3:25 AM, Brian Bartholomew via Cohousing-L <cohousing-l [at]
cohousing.org> wrote:

> *But I can't FORM a commons, because I
> don't know how to make the factors become true.*

It didn’t just happen that everyone had a cow and used the common green
correctly. Cooperatives either find principles/rules/expectations/agreements
that work or they fail. What she found that was the successful long lasting
coops in one way or another worked out ways to observe the principles.

These are the factors of "how to do it”— what works or has worked. They don’t
mean if "this is true” then "this will happen." Coops don’t just happen. It
isn’t an if-then statement.

Successful coops maintain the checks and balances that observing these
principles provides. When groups stop observing them or no longer have the same
balance of needs for the benefits the cooperative provides, for example, the
cooperation will transform to something new, make changes, or end.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Sociocratic Democracy