Re: To HIre or Not to Hire a Cohousing Consultant?
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 13:44:24 -0700 (PDT)
There are distinct advantages to working with knowledgeable professionals such
as McCamant and Durrett. If you have the money to do so, it will save you a lot
of time. That said, if you have more time than money, RoseWind Cohousing in
Port Townsend WA is proof that it is possible to do a lot yourselves, if you
have the time, energy, and some of the skills. Especially now that there are so
many built communities, from whom one can learn much, and written and on-line
guidance.

Our first few families found the land and arranged for its purchase over time.
Back in 1989 we had few other communities to consult, but did learn much from
Winslow Cohousing. We laid out our land and went through all the steps in a
Planned Unit Development Proposal, required to re-plat the land into our site
plan. Four years later, with an additional handful of members on board, we had
the PUD approved, having learned more about city planning than we ever thought
we'd need to know. Over time, new buy-ins provided the money for installing the
infrastructure, and then for building the common house.

We designed the common house ourselves, and contracted building it, with lots
of volunteer work in the mix.

We still have many of our original members, and feel we have a solid good thing
going here!

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org