Next Thursday, Oct 17, WebChat, "Working Effectively with Especially Challenging Behaviors"
From: Diana Leafe Christian (dianaic.org)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 06:28:52 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,
        The live WebChat, “Working Effectively with Especially Challenging
Behaviors," is this coming Thursday, Oct. 17. It’s hosted by Coho/US and
there's no charge.
        In the WebChat I’ll suggest time-tested, doable suggestions for when
one or more people in the community sometimes say or do baffling, hurtful,
conflict-triggering behaviors. Behaviors which may have continued for years —
and nothing that anyone or the whole community has tried has seemed to make a
difference.
        It's not about inducing the person to understand their behaviors better
or change them; holding in talking-stick, heart circles, mediations; or using
Nonviolent Community language. It's not about the community’s decision-making
and governance method.
         Rather, it’s about what you can do to empower yourself and experience
more peacefulness. Things a group of friends and neighbors can do together for
mutual empowerment, or which the community itself can do to reduce
whole-community conflict arising from these behaviors.
        I learned this from years of observing these behaviors directly in my
own and other communities, and more recently from an intensive, formal study of
these behaviors. I did this to understand community life better, help myself
and my friends in my own community, and help people in communities where I do
consultations. These suggestions are quite different from those made about most
community consultants in relation to these kinds of community behaviors and
this kind of community conflict.
        The WebChat is from 5-6 Pacific Time, 6-7 Mountain Time, 7-8 Central
time, and 8-9pm Eastern Time. The Zoom link is https://zoom.us/j/202941610
        I’ll do this with a super-fast Internet connection at a friend's house
in Asheville. Coho/US president Karin Hoskin will host the session. The WebChat
will be recorded and available later on the Coho/US website.
        If this interests you, please do join us next Thursday evening.
        Diana Leafe Christian