Re: Coho accounting software
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 07:33:37 -0700 (PDT)
> On Oct 15, 2019, at 7:56 AM, Jack Wilbern <jaxaccount [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We process 19 or 20 incoming checks a month and maybe 5 outgoing checks so
> it's really not anything that requires the sophistication of QuickBooks. We
> do not run our meal accounting through it. [snip] Our accountant / tax person
> said that our books are so
> simple it was not going to be an issue.

This is why I think communities can easily do their own accounts if they have
members who don’t get dizzy when they look at bank statements. The number of
transactions is not huge. Another concern is trust. Are we protected if someone
runs away with our money? Stories of treasurers who don’t pay bills for 6
months and then one midnight abscond with all the money are not so infrequent.
But it is also true that millions of non-certified treasurers do a perfectly
competent and honest job — at least equal to that of professionals who also
screw up.

It sounds like a huge job but when you count the number of checks going in and
out, the number of people who use automatic deposit, and the almost
non-existent problem of people paying fees, it isn’t a huge job. It needs
regular, frequent attention — things can’t be allowed to pile up — but not a
huge amount of attention.

One thing a CPA once told me when setting up books for a non-profit was to have
one person handling check deposits and payments and another keeping track of
accounts. Then you have checks and balances (so to speak).

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC