Reminder: Call for Articles: Communities #188: Scaling Up (plus Scaling Down, Lessons from COVID-19, etc.)
From: Chris Roth - Communities Editor (editorgen-us.net)
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 16:40:37 -0700 (PDT)
Inviting submissions on Scaling Up/Down, communities' pandemic responses, and
more...

Dear Communities contributors and friends,

The unpredictable, ever-evolving alterations to our daily lives under COVID-19
mean that our magazine themes for the next few issues also need to remain fluid
and adaptable.

We are still seeking articles for Communities #188, Scaling Up (which may also
incorporate the topic Scaling Down, something many of us have had to do, at
least for the short term). We are also still assembling materials for
Communities #187, Climate Justice through Community, and some of its recently
arrived articles are already incorporating authors’ coronavirus
experiences/perspectives. Lessons from COVID-19 is a theme that may permeate
the next few issues of Communities, both in the background and in the
foreground. How is your community dealing with the novel coronavirus outbreak?
On any of the themes above, we invite your writing. There is still a chance
that whatever you send may fit into issue #187, rather than needing to wait for
#188.

Those of you who are subscribers will know that we published [Communities
#186](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsIjg0NGI5ODcyMmEyZiIsZmFsc2Vd),
 Picking Up the Pieces: New Beginnings earlier this month, that our [new
website](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsImNjZDZjMzUwZmExOSIsZmFsc2Vd)
 is fully functional, and that we now offer an array of
[subscription](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsIjdhOGM1ZWUxODgwNyIsZmFsc2Vd)
 options, all of them including free access for online viewing or download of
all back and current Communities issues. If you are looking for reading
material during these unusual times, more than [10,000
pages](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsImE4NmU5OWFiN2M1ZSIsZmFsc2Vd)
 of current and past Communities stories await those who sign up for any type
of subscription, starting at $20.

Here, again, is our latest Call for Articles, slightly amended:

● ● ●

Communities magazine is still seeking articles for issue #188, "Scaling Up"
[and possibly “/Scaling Down”] The issue will be out in September 2020.

Please send your article ideas to [editor [at]
gen-us.net](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsIjQ4YjZlNDg0MjFmMSIsZmFsc2Vd)
 as soon as possible.

We ask that your final article reach us by Friday, May 29, 2020.

1. Theme articles: Scaling Up [/Down]
We invite you, if you wish, to address the questions below while considering
how the idea of "scaling up" [or down] and the realities of public health
emergencies intersect. Specifically, if you are a member of an intentional
community that hosts or promotes gatherings, welcomes visitors and travelers,
interacts with the wider society, wishes to "scale up" in one way or another,
how has this crisis affected you? What measures have you taken? What
discussions have you had, what perspectives have you gained, and what lessons
have you learned? Feel free to share whatever stories/perspectives seem most
relevant to you, whether these involve this current public health emergency or
not. Your wisdom may be especially valued in these times.
Here are the original, pre-pandemic article prompts:
Please share your experiences, stories, and perspectives in response to any (or
any combination) of the following questions:

- How can the communities movement grow? How can it reach and influence more
people?
- Does your intentional community or cooperative group aspire to become larger?
What is your vision and what steps are you taking to manifest it?
- How can we "scale up" the practices developed in intentional communities and
cooperative groups to reach and become incorporated in the wider culture? How
do we connect across national lines, scale up to a global level?
- What are the benefits of broadening our communities' outreach and educational
efforts?
- Has your community successfully exported your model to another group?
- What are drawbacks of "scaling up"? Do efforts to reach a wider audience or
grow participation end up diluting community cohesiveness or integrity? While
scaling up, how do we navigate the pull to "go mainstream"?
- Do you have success stories about "scaling up"? Stories of failure? Were
there unexpected consequences from your efforts? Did any strategies backfire?
What is your perspective now? What did you learn from your experiences?
- What do we want to scale up? What do we want to scale down? Are there certain
thresholds while scaling up at which new challenges/opportunities emerge?
- Is there an urgency to scale up our efforts to spread a more regenerative,
cooperative culture? Or is it better to let things unfold organically, perhaps
more slowly? Do we defeat the spirit of cooperative culture when we try to
promote it with any attachment to outcome? Can we afford to let the world
recognize the relevance of cooperative culture at its own pace? Do we "become
the problem" when we try to address it on its own terms? Or does the state of
the world demand action even if it is not fully aligned with the way we'd like
the world to be?
- Are we most effective when we "cultivate our own gardens," or when we focus
on trying to change things on a larger scale? Can we do both? If so, how?

Please remember that we are looking for stories, personal experiences, and
concrete examples in your responses—these are what will make ideas and
observations most "real" and relevant to readers.

[Please forward this email to anyone you think has a good story on this theme
for Communities.]

2. We are also seeking articles about:

- Creating community in your neighborhood;
- Starting a new community;
- Process and communication issues in community;
- Ecological sustainability in community;
- Social justice issues in community;
- Networking to build the communities/ecovillages movement; and
- Seeking community to join.

Suggested submission length is from 300 to 2500 words (although we sometimes
stretch these limits). We invite submissions ranging from short vignettes to
extensively-developed articles, and also invite suggestions of recommended
resources and article leads. We're seeking articles written in a
reader-friendly, popular-magazine style, rather than in an academic style. We
ask contributors to share stories and experiences, not just ideas; write about
challenges, not just successes; and describe specific situations that will help
your story come alive for the reader. Before you start writing, please check
[gen-us.net/submissions-to-communities-magazine](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsIjNmOWYxYzZmNmE4NiIsZmFsc2Vd)
 or contact us for our full Writers' Guidelines--and let us know your article
idea so that we can give feedback on how it may fit into Communities. Contact
Chris Roth at [editor [at]
gen-us.net](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsIjQ4YjZlNDg0MjFmMSIsZmFsc2Vd).

If you don’t want to write an article but want to submit photos, please check
[gen-us.net/submissions-to-communities-magazine](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsIjNmOWYxYzZmNmE4NiIsZmFsc2Vd)
 or contact Yulia Zarubina at [layout [at]
gen-us.net](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsIjc5OWU1NDIzYmJiOSIsZmFsc2Vd)
 for our Photo Guidelines.

I. What "Submitting an Article" Means. We will promise to read your article,
but we may respectfully decline it and not publish it, or save it and publish
it in a future issue. We also reserve the right to edit, shorten, or revise
your article. We always attempt to contact authors about this ahead of time and
get their comments, corrections, etc.

II. Getting Permission Ahead of Time. Please send the article only when you
have permission from anyone you need it from, such as fellow community members.
We endeavor to present a diversity of views on community, including
controversial or critical views, in a respectful and cooperative manner. If
your article may generate controversy or strong reactions, or if the group(s)
would want the chance to review it, please share your draft with group members
to get their input before sending it to us. (Please see our Writers' Guidelines
for additional details.)

III. Publication Rights. Once your article appears in Communities, we own first
North American Publishing Rights. This means your article appears in
Communities the first time it appears in North America. In addition to
appearing in Communities, your article may also appear on our website or in
future compilations. You retain all other rights to it. If you'd like to use it
elsewhere, you can, and we would appreciate your using an attribution line
saying, "This article first appeared in Communities: Life in Cooperative
Culture, (date); for further information on Communities:
[gen-us.net/communities](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsImNjZDZjMzUwZmExOSIsZmFsc2Vd)."

IV. Photos. If we publish your article, we want to accompany it with compelling
images that illustrate your subject. You know your subject best, so we are
appealing to you for images. If others in your community or group like taking
pictures, they might already have great images to go with your article. If you
would like to submit an article but cannot supply photos, that's fine; however,
please give us plenty of advance notice so that if we use your article we can
get an illustrator. Please check
[gen-us.net/submissions-to-communities-magazine](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsIjNmOWYxYzZmNmE4NiIsZmFsc2Vd)
 or email us for our full Photo Guidelines. You may also choose to send us an
author photo to accompany your short (several-line) author bio.

Thanks for your contributions!

Chris Roth
Editor, Communities [editor [at]
--
Chris Roth
Editor, Communities
[gen-us.net/communities](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsImNjZDZjMzUwZmExOSIsZmFsc2Vd)

for Communities advertising,
please contact Gigi Wahba:
[ads [at]
gen-us.net](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsIjEzNWM4MTI1ZjJmZiIsZmFsc2Vd)
415-991-0541

for photos and layout,
please contact Yulia Zarubina:
[layout [at]
gen-us.net](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsIjhlMDkxNTc0M2JkMSIsZmFsc2Vd)
910-617-6136

[Please send your article proposals to editor [at] gen-us.net. Thank
you!](https://gen-us.net?mailpoet_router&endpoint=track&action=click&data=WyI0MjAwIiwiM2dreWFiY20wYW04NG9vODRzazBrY2N3d2Nnc2tvc3MiLCIxMSIsImM5MTg0MjA1NjhhMiIsZmFsc2Vd)