Re: "physical distancing" vs "social distancing"
From: robin.allison (robin.allisonearthsong.org.nz)
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 15:10:00 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings from Earthsong, in Aotearoa/New Zealand!
Many of us in NZ are starting to use the maori word "rahui" instead of
'lockdown', explained below:

"What is a 'Rāhui'? A community gives power to a rāhui by upholding it and
being a part of it.  Rāhui is a tikanga (custom) used by our tūpuna (elders
or ancestors) to look after us, both physically and spiritually.  Rāhui is
empowering, it unifies us, it encourages us all to take responsibility for
our collective wellbeing."

i.e. it is not (or not just) something imposed by the authorities, but a
practise we follow to safeguard each other. A bit like the difference
between "rules" imposed by others, and agreements we make between us in
cohousing. It's part of the paradigm shift that cohousing is and has been
incubating.

Robin Allison
Earthsong Eco-Neighbourhood
Auckland, New Zealand