Re: starting an emergency fund at our cohousing community in Tucson, AZ
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 09:40:48 -0800 (PST)
Ours is called the good neighbor fund. Also managed by 2 or 3 people and
confidential otherwise.
People are asked to donate voluntarily, my household gives $5 per month
which I think was the original request.

Ours is handled as part of our meals accounting which is separate from our
HOA account and handled by different people. Originally it was just used to
bring meals accounts that were in arrears up to date but now is used for
other funds payable to our community that a household might need. I believe
that the community would need to decide to allow it to be used for HOA dues
but so far that has not been a question.
(We have separate cohousing dues for items that are not required to keep
the physical community running. It can be used for that.)

When it started this was true, I'm not on the team, but I believe that they
sometimes need to go to a household and offer the funds--folk are not quick
to ask for help, even when their payments are behind.

Liz
Mosaic Commons Cohousing, Berlin MA