Re: Apologizing to everyone on the Coho-L list
From: Chris Hansen (itschrishansengmail.com)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 07:32:30 -0800 (PST)
I appreciate the apology- easy mistake we are probably all terrified of
making, having done so more times than we'd be comfortable admitting!
I do have a request, though.
I find referring to people as 'difficult people' quite othering, blaming
and an all-encompassing label, and wonder if it could be switched to
'people whose behavours we find difficult'.
Often we are talking about behaviours and people who we personally find
difficult (and to be sure, this may be a shared experience!). I know that I
am someone who some people find 'difficult' and yet others find
'delightful' (and much in-between)
So rather than labeling and blaming people, I'd like to request that we put
the responsibility with ourselves and behaviors; Instead of saying' Chris
is a difficult person', it might be 'I find Chris difficult when she
challenges that language I use', or even 'I find it difficult to connect
with Chris', or even, occasionally 'I find Chris difficult'.
Some of us have been labelled and pathologized our whole lives, and our
hope might be that CoHousing is a place where we find some inclusion and
acceptance.
Thanks!