Re: Looking for a communications tool
From: Sean Davey (seansonoracohousing.com)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 07:46:50 -0700 (PDT)
For those of you who like Slack, can you please describe what it is that you
like about it? The community software that I work on, Mosaic, currently
supports email lists, Facebook-like news feeds, forum-like discussions, and I'm
thinking of adding a Slack-like option. I'm very interested in hearing what
others like and dislike about the software they use.

Slack is similar to a Facebook-like news feed except that new posts are at the
bottom instead of at the top. Does the direction of posts going back in time
feel more natural going up or going down?

Slack channels are the main difference from Facebook but are also similar to
"topics" in forum-like discussions. If Facebook had channels, in what ways
would you still prefer Slack?

Many conversations are temporary and don't need to be kept so I think that's
something interesting about the free use of Slack, old history will eventually
be deleted. But some conversations result in information that should be kept.
It would be good if our software supported ways to convert conversation info
into a more permanent structure and format.

What things do you wish Slack or Facebook or Discourse did that they don't
currently do?

Lastly, I have to admit that I have mixed feeling about online communication,
especially in cohousing. I understand that it's just a tool and many people
enjoy using it. But I always have the concern in the back of my mind that more
online communication means less in-person communication and how does that
affect our community experience?

thanks in advance for your thoughts,
  Sean