Re: How many community meetings to make a decision?
From: Maggi (librarymaggigmail.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 10:09:55 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 10:26 PM Muriel Kranowski <murielk [at] vt.edu> wrote:

> It depends on the issue you're trying to decide about -- it might be very
> important but simple enough to agree about in one meeting, or it may be
> complicated or it may have some big emotions associated with it that have
> to be worked through in the course of two, three, or more meetings. And it
> depends on your community's style and method of making decisions.

I'm asking about your community, so that's what I'd like to hear about.
Whatever style and method your community uses, it sounds like you are able
to make a decision in one meeting, which is different from the way many
cohousing communities who use consensus work. How would your community
decide to make a decision in one meeting? How often does that happen?

> As for "how many meetings" -- if you mean plenary meetings, our standard
> schedule is one a month but if there are multiple requests for plenary
> agenda time for the current month, we might have a 2nd one.

Thanks! How would your community go ahead with planning a second plenary in
a month? How quick is that turnaround (finding a facilitator, deciding on a
date, etc.)?

But in the early years we met once a week. (Ouch.)

For most of the last twenty years, we met twice a month, but recently have
gone to once a month, and it's definitely impacting the speed of our
decision-making.

Maggi Rohde
Touchstone Cohousing
Ann Arbor, MI