Re: Renters in Cohousing
From: Bonnie Fergusson (fergyb2yahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 08:30:15 -0700 (PDT)
     We’ve had mostly good luck with our renters, a few have been less
participatory but most are enthusiastic cohousers and several have gone on to
purchase and become owners when a unit becomes available. We usually only have
one unit rented but we have sometimes rental roommates in owner occupied units.
 We’ve been up and running 21 years and had very little turnover the first 15
or so years with more these last few years as we age and some original owners
die or move into assisted living places when they get very ill.  We’ve gotten
smarter about maintaining a list of interested folk and doing regular tours so
we maintain a good pool of potentially interested folk.  The Bay area is a very
expensive real estate market which makes it hard so not all interested folk can
afford the units that become available so renting is a good first step.  Our
renters can participate in all ways except decision making about spending
money, budgeting etc.Bonnie FergussonSwans Market CohousingOakland, California

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad