Re: Workshare/Participation conversations
From: Kathleen Walsh (kathleenpositivity.biz)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 18:43:31 -0700 (PDT)
Although we have an online recording system in place for "participation"
where I live,  "hours" are loosely defined by the people who complete
them...some give themselves "hours" for "thinking about emails", decorating
a room for a party they are hosting or picking a few weeds along a pathway
while walking their dog.  Because there is no clear standard around the
expectation, many members, including myself, are opposed to levying fees or
fines for "not participating" as what constitutes "completing hours" is so
arbitrary.   Most members do something to contribute, but a few people
consistently do much more of the heavy lifting and there are concerns, and
some resentment, about fairness and equity.

In addition, HOA members who do not live on the common property, but in
private homes elsewhere and own a full or partial share of an HOA rental
unit deed have full membership privileges, like the benefit of reserving
and using our guest bedrooms, but are not required to contribute work
towards maintaining the building, land or administrative tasks.  Many of
these members generally do something to contribute, but only what they want
to do, when they want to. This situation also creates tension around
perceptions of inequity.

K. Walsh