Example of good newsletter: Heartwood Commons - Tulsa
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 08:08:26 -0700 (PDT)
I don’t receive newsletters from cohousing communities generally so this is a
recommendation based on monthly newsletter of all kinds that I receive. This
newsletter from a yet to be moved in community, Heartwood Commons Tulsa,
surprises me every month. It is long with lots of pictures and covers many
topics. I can’t say enough about it. And Suzy Sharp who writes the newsletter
is rather nonplussed that I rave over it — asking what her experience with
newsletters is and how she solicits all the info. (The hardest thing is often
getting people to send you information.)

Every month it comes a long updating me descriptions of the units, aspects of
cohousing, construction updates, events past present and future, how to sign up
for a site tour, how to visit the site, introductions to new members, notes
from pets (My name is Cricket. I’m a Tibetan Terrier..), announcement of the
downsizing yard sale, and an invitation with a picture of a smiling Suzy asking
you to reach out to her.

Their newsletters are on the website which is hosted at Hubspot. Sometimes I
can see it there and sometimes not. To avoid having another password to record
and remember I use my Google acct sign in. Some days Hubspot says I don’t exist
— so go to the home page (no sign in) if the newsletter link doesn’t work. The
newsletters are under Get Involved in the navigation menu at the top.

https://www.heartwoodcommonstulsa.com/

https://www.heartwoodcommonstulsa.com/copy-of-newsletter

Lots of wonderful pictures including a masked array of members in a meeting on
Zoom.

TIP #2. Never use stock photos on your website. They are always too good to be
true. It is so easy to take pictures with smart phones that there is no excuse
for photoshopped staged photos of people with perfect teeth (a dead give away).
If you can’t get everyone in one place to take a photo and don’t have
construction plans yet, ask if you can borrow from another community and lable
the photo as such. “This is YZO community’s summer BBQ that is typical of
cohousing communities,” or “This is what we are planning for ourselves.” Lots
of possibilities here.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"Reality is something you rise above." Liza Minnelli