Re: Cable TV Cost
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 14:02:24 -0700 (PDT)
We managed early on to have a long and important discussion about whether
we were a "pay for service" community, or whether we provided a variety of
resources which everyone pays for, and people use the ones they want.

We went with the second idea. I am a strong fan of that. So we have laundry
soap and washers and dryers all "free" in our laundry room. A hot tub, and
apple trees, and a garden, and berry bushes, and a workout room. Cable in
the living room. Netflix. Spices and rice in the kitchen. All of these
things are simply available for you to take advantage of if you would like.

The discussion was prompted by a discussion of how much to charge for
laundry. I have laundry in my home, so I don't use the laundry. But I'd
rather use the work out space for free than require other people to pay for
laundry.

Similarly, our water and sewer is not metered, so we are all sharing the
cost, regardless of the amount we use.

We do have one "the users pay" scheme--the chickens are a "club" and you
pay a fee to join and they, together, pay for the costs, and are the only
people to get eggs.

For your each community the question is where do you draw the line of what
comes with living there, and what is extra cost.
-Liz
(The Rev. Dr.) Elizabeth Mae Magill
Pastor, Ashburnham Community Church
www.elizabethmaemagill.com