Re: Modular units in cohousing
From: Oliveau (Oliveauaol.com)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 06:00:44 -0700 (PDT)
Hey Joani,
    Here at Catoctin Creek Village (Taylorstown, VA), we are building
detached homes using the modular construction method.
    We've been very happy with them.  The biggest advantage is that they are
quick.  Much faster than stick-built.  Also, no chance of weather delaying the
project, or soaking a floor.  Structually, the houses are stronger than
stick-built.
    The one draw-back is that you can't make any last minute changes.  You
can't walk through your half-build home and ask for walls to be moved.  Of
course, some would say that's an advantage, given the amount of money some
people
spend on last-minute change orders to their house.
    We liked Avis America in Avis, PA.  Their quality was very high, they
will customize, and they have energy efficient upgrades available.

-Kevin Oliveau

In a message dated 6/30/2005 12:26:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,