Re: Affordability
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 05:01:43 -0700 (PDT)
Rich <richminder [at] sunflower.com>
is the author of the message below.
after deleting quoted digest.

> Are there any cohousing communities that are really
> affordable?  Not cohousing communities that have
> some sort of small "affordable" subsidized housing,
> but genuinely created by those of us that are middle
> income?

Every price is relative.  At Delaware Street Commons here in Lawrence, KS,
we are not thought of as "affordable housing" by anyone locally.  However,
my family is certainly "middle income".  We can afford one of the upper end
homes.  We also have equity built up which is how a lot of "middle income"
folks can buy and sell real estate and keep payments relatively low for
purchases on the upper end of the market.  Folks relocating from the East
and West Coasts can't understand how folks here think the housing is
overpriced.  You can see the homes and prices, etc., on our web site
www.delaware-street.com.  I think we are the least expensive Cohousing
Neighborhood in the U.S.
Rich Minder