Re: Alexandria VA wants to group cohousing with Boarding houses - please speak up
From: Chris Roth - Communities Editor (editorgen-us.net)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 09:19:56 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Ann and all,

Thanks for your further message. You will probably be interested to hear that I did get a very courteous and thoughtful letter back from Alexa Powell. I will not forward that to the whole list because she did not specifically give me permission to do that. But I hope I am not breaking any news embargoes by revealing that, according to her email to me, the name is going to be changed away from "cohousing" at an Open House meeting scheduled for April 20. In a possible excess of caution, I'm not comfortable leaking the new name prior to that announcement other than to say that it's not cohousing. :-)

It sounds as if the proposed changes to their code would not generally affect actual cohousing, which can already be achieved through traditional site plans under the town's ordinances, since each unit has its own cooking facilities. What this initiative is opening up is the possibility of unrelated people living together with only shared kitchen facilities on a site if they so choose, something that would require a "full-hearing SUP" to achieve right now. I don't totally understand what that means but it sounds as if she's working toward some really worthy goals and has also taken the feedback about terminology to heart, with the results soon to be revealed.

Thanks again,

Chris

Message: 1