Affordable CoHousing
From: Zev Paiss (zevpaissgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 17:19:00 -0700 (PDT)
Diana,

I have no idea how unusual what we are doing is from a national perspective.
The City we live in is very desirable and very expensive. The City requires all
residential developments to contain at least 20% permanently affordable homes.
In our case since we originally asked for a density increase during our
development phase the City granted the additional homes but required that all
the additional homes needed to also be permanently affordable. What we have are
3 homes at the low income level (80% of AMI) 4 homes at the moderate level (up
to 120% of AMI) and 4 market rate homes.

When we first moved in the City was just setting up their affordable housing
selection process. Since they understood we are a community centered
neighborhood, we were exempt from the lottery selection process they use for
other permanently affordable homes as long as all applicants passed their
income guidelines for the home.

That situation is still in place but we now have create with review from the
City housing department a goodness of fit questionnaire we ask all applicants
to complete in addition to the series of “events” they must attend to better
get to know us. I will agree it is a multi-step process but we also have no
interest in attracting new households only looking for affordable housing.

So far so good.

Zev Paiss
Nomad Community Room Coordinator
1410 Quince Avenue, Boulder CO 80304