Re: Process for non payment of dues
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 07:55:49 -0700 (PDT)
On Jun 9, 2021, at 12:25 AM, BETSY ALGIRE <betsy1945 [at] comcast.net> wrote:

>  We have had a serious problem with this in the past year. Since the people
> involved have made no attempt to explain why they are not paying what they
> owe, we are at a lost on how to handle this. We have discussed creating a
> method to allow members to ask for a short period of respite from paying but
> are not sure what criteria we should use and how to set this up.

We have a process like others have mentioned — late fee automatically and then
a talk about how to resolve the situation — payment plan, etc. The only people
who have been late more than a month, so far as I know, were people with other
problems. Usually unemployment or newly underemployed. It really hasn’t been a
problem.

But we are also not a new community. New communities may still have tight
finances so the nonpayment of dues is critical. So it seems wise for everyone
to adopt both an automatic reminder in the form of a late fee and a process for
discussion. The next step is placing a lien on the property so the dues have to
be paid at the time of sale (or some such)

BUT in this case it sounds like something else is going on. A refusal to even
talk about it means a serious lack of faith, confidence, and caring. Something
else is going on. Something no billing process will fix.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC