Re: How many community meetings to make a decision?
From: Ted J Rau (tedsociocracyforall.org)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 06:41:26 -0700 (PDT)
In my community, most decisions are made in committees, not in the
all-member meetings (following sociocracy process).

Therefore, each committee (aka circles) meets as often as they see fit, and
it can be different for each circle, like every 2 weeks, or every 4 or 8
weeks. It can also change over time - for example, "my" circle met more
often during high-stress covid time to make sure we understand
implications; other circles met less often during that time.

One general frame that might be useful even for groups that don't
decentralize decisions like sociocracy does is this and that I each in my
facilitation classes is this. Every time there's an issue, there are three
steps:

   - Understanding what the issue even is: Who is upset about what? What's
   not working? Does this need a decision, or is some listening and/or
   feedback enough? This can enter into an agreed-upon statement of how we
   understand the issue we're trying to solve.
   - Exploration of solutions: We enter a process of generating policy. We
   use 3 sub-steps here (a) writing up dimensions to find headlines for ideas
   (b) gathering of ideas of what we could do (c) synthesizing the ideas into
   a proposal. Then ready for the next step!
   - Decision: making a decision about the proposal we co-created.

Of course one can do them all in one go but a "sane" pace is to take it one
step per meeting. *So even a big policy decision can be made in 3 meetings
and solved together*, especially if there's work done between meetings
(extra listening, sending out drafts etc).

In sociocracy, even though the process might be held by one circle, the
all-member meeting can give input into the steps, on whichever step(s) it
might be most useful. So for example, the circle could do meeting #1 (and
generate a description statement of the issue) and run it by others; then
ask for input for meeting #2 and synthesize those ideas in the circle
meeting; then #3 would be the decision. The back and forth between small
group-large group can be a very powerful dance, and it's the reason
decisions in small groups can still include the input from a lot of people.