money for meals
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 94 19:20 CDT
Marci says:

> Do you charge a flat fee for meals, or does it vary depending on what
> is served?

Cooks add up the cost of the meal, figure out how much each person should pay,
and we each pay on the nose before eating.

> How do you handle collection of money for common meals? Do you pay
> ahead, and if so, is it for a period of time (such as a month) or a
> number of meals (or singly)? Do you sell tickets? Do you bill afterward?

We have a basket by our serving table for cash or checks.

> How do you charge for children? for guests? for takehome meals or leftovers?

Kids pay $0.75 always, and adults pay whatever the rest of the cost of the meal
is divided by however many there are.  We often have different prices for the
veggie and meat options.  Oh, plus we charge a $0.25 surcharge per adult which
goes into the community fund.

> What happens if someone only occasionally has a common meal?

With our system it doesn't matter.

> Do you keep meals moneys separate from association funds? What
> bookkeeping/accounting practices do you use? Who handles the money?

Most of the meal money goes directly back to the cooks for expenses.  The
surcharge goes to the input treasurer (we have two treasurers - one who only
takes money in, and one who only pays it out.  Great system).

> Are you responsible for taxes (sales, income, whatever) on the money
> you handle?

Jeez, I've no idea - we've never worried about it.

Stuart
N St Cohousing
stanifor [at] cs.ucdavis.edu