Re: NPR Story
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 94 17:21 CST
Stuart Staniford-Chen <stanifor [at] cs.ucdavis.edu> wrote: (Nov 16)
<There doesn't seem to have been any discussion on here of Sunday's NPR
piece about cohousing.  A lot of us at N St sat around in our Common House
and listened to a tape of it and we pretty much liked it.

I thought it did a really good job of showing the benefits of living in
cohousing, while not slurring over the difficulties. >
I agree.  The one thing I would have changed - they quoted something like, the
downside is that when you come home tired, you may not want to deal with a
common meal, or a meeting.  I wish they had said that at least for the meal,
you don't *have* to eat with everyone.  I feel we need to emphasize the balance
between privacy and community - I find that if I don't go to dinner or have a
committee meeting, I feel quite private, and will not see some of my neighbors
for days or weeks (and we are in apartments in the same building!)  I can
choose that when I need it.

It sure sounded familiar, though.  and I wish it had been on during the week.

By the way, Stuart, I thought your cohousing-L write-up was excellent - one of
these days I'll get around to printing it out.
Judy

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu