Re: Heating issues (tech info on Energy Crafted Home spec) (FWD)
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 94 18:22 CST
Jeff Hobson JOHOBSON [at] WHEEL.UCDAVIS.EDU is the author of this message but
due to a listserv problem it was posted by the COHOUSING-L sysop.

NEEDS SOME DATA FROM DEG
>Yes, we have those Energy-Star monitors, but not the computer itself.  I've
>never seen one of those.
If you have more than a couple computers and really think they're causing a
significant cooling load , I recommend getting the Energy Star computers,
not just monitors.  Sadly, some of the monitors don't work with non-Energy
Star computers, or are inconvenient enough that people don't use the
power-saving feature.  What you want is for the monitor to turn off after
some # of minutes of non-use, and possibly have the hard drive spin down or
the CPU go into a much lower clock speed, again after some # of minutes of
non-use.

For the monitor:
- Either it can turn itself off, in which case the # is often preset by the
monitor manufacturer (you need an Energy Star *monitor* for this), OR
- The computer can turn the monitor off (in which case you need a computer
with an Energy Star *power supply*).  This latter option usually gives you
the option of changing the timeout period, and possibly turning off the
monitor with a "hot key".

Hard drives & CPU slow-downs all require power-saver hardware in the
*computer* - as part of the BIOS (software), or power supply.

In a tight room with lots of computers, this could all make a significant
difference.

>Here are the Energy Crafted Home specs. I'd be interested in seeing how
>they measure up to other energy saving schemes:

Title-24 requirements (California's Energy Code) has the following
requirements in Zone ?? (the mountain zone, probably similar to
Massachusetts climate), for raised-floor houses:

Insulation values:
        Attic - R-
        Frame Walls: R-
        Foundation Wall: R-
        Sub-Slab Floor: R-
        Slab Perimeter: R-
        Windows: R-
        Doors: R-

Air Tightness: ?? sq. in. per ?? sq. ft. of shell area
Ventilation: Heat Recovery Ventilator

Hope this is helpful.

Jeff Hobson