forwarded message re architects
From: Daniel Nachbar (nachbarworld.std.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 94 07:51 CST
I am posting the following message for a fellow cohouser.
It's been sitting in my "IN" box for over a month while I
tried to arrange for inexpensive, direct access for others in my community.
That goal being still a fair way off, I'll post it indirectly.
Please reply via nachbar [at] world.std.com

Dan Nachbar
        Pioneer Valley
        Cherry Hill
        Amherst's 32 unit
        Not Pine Street
        Someday We'll Pick a Name        Cohousing

nachar [at] world.std.com

BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE --

        After attending the Boulder Conference
it was fun to read about other people's experiences
on the internet (which Jon Kent copied to all of
the Pioneer Valley co-housing community in Massachusetts).
I was however very unhappy to read Rob Sanderlin's comment
that all the architects he spoke to at the conference
were "building contric" and his opinion that "the best
designs and designers are people centric".
        I don't believe he could have spoken to me, an architect
and resident of Pioneer Valley who strives to design for people,
or Mary Kraus, one of the architects (and also a resident) of our
community.  Mary has gone well beyond the call of duty reminding
her design colleagues of the "process" by which our community
makes decisions relating to design.
        Architects who choose to pursue co-housing projects do so
because they recognize co-housing as an important social movement.
Why on earch would they otherwise choose to sit through endless group
meetings, defer their fees, and subject themselves to 25+ clients
for a project that might simply fizzle?  I'd like to hear a little
recognition for their service rather than a blanket critisism.
        Rob's statement was so clearly black & white - right and
wrong - what about all the grey between that would include all
the architects who strive to design for people and yet care
deeply about buildings, spaces, functions, aesthetics.  It is the
integration of many diverse factors and the process of reaching
consensus in the design process that makes for good design.
        Co-housing is about diversity of opinion and there is a
lot of grey area in which to find solutions.  Stating things in
black and white raises flags, builds barriers and separates people.

Laura Fitch

END FORWARDED MESSAGE --