Re: "Gawkers" at cohousing communities (FWD)
From: Gary Shea (sheaxmission.com)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 23:48 CST
Fred H Olson WB0YQM writes:
>is the author of this message but
>due to a listserv problem it was posted by the COHOUSING-L sysop.

>-
>Susan Pintus wrote...
>> I certainly understand your exasperation with the "gawkers", and was
>> surprised that no one before you mentioned the issue of children's
>> safety.  I think, though, that those of us who are working on Cohousing
>> projects but don't live in one yet may not have thought about issues such
>> as this one...
David G. Adams (Cornerstone Cohousing DADAMS [at] WORLD.STD.COM) writes...
>The majority of child molestation involves adults known to the child, unless
>I'm mistaken.  It's popular to fear strangers, but your neighbors (I would
>assume even cohousing neighbors) are statisticly the biggest danger.  But
>this is really not a cohousing topic.

It is a bit off topic, but since cohousers seem to be a bit more
socially aware than most, and curious too, I'd like to point out
that the vast majority of child molestations are perpetrated by family
members -- as Pogo said, "We have met the enemy and he is us".

        Gary