Re: A facilitators checklist
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 95 00:31 CST
Rob asks about facilitation tips.  Since I've been thinking about
facilitation a lot lately I'll respond.   I make no claim to be an
authority on the subject - this is just what I find works for me.

Before the meeting:

Make sure you have input to the agenda.  This does not necessarily mean
at the level of which issues are discussed, but rather at how much time
an issue gets and how that time is broken down.  I am not normally part
of our agenda committee, but I always try to be present when they meet to
set up the agenda for a meeting I am to facilitate.  I think it's
important that I understand how the agenda is supposed to work and that I
find the process it outlines credible.  There's nothing worse than
facilitating a meeting and suddenly discovering that you don't believe
the agenda is workable at all.

The agenda needs to be broken down into sufficiently fine detail.  It
needs not just to say what issues will be discussed, but also to outline
by what process the decisions will be made.  Times need to be allocated
for each item in that process.  Sometimes it takes quite a bit of thought
to figure out the best way to do this.   An example from a recent meeting
of ours where we were trying to agree on a design for the landscape in
our CH backyard went something like this.

Brainstorm main functions to be supported in the back yard.
Consolidate and clarify brainstorm results.
Prioritization exercise on different functions.
For each function, taken in priority order:
        Establish approximate location of zone in yard for this function
        Establish rough design/layout within zone
        Establish materials to be used
        Establish logistics of committees and workdays

Of course, the agenda may have to be changed on the fly (agenda
committees are not clairvoyant).  For example, we didn't nearly get
through all this agenda in the meeting we had.  But if you start out with
a good structure it's possible to discuss intelligently how to adapt it
to changing circumstances.

In addition to the agenda, I think it's useful to check up on old
decisions your group has made on this subject or related ones.  If you
don't do this and somebody suddenly remembers in the middle of
discussion, "didn't we already do X with this issue?" your whole agenda
can be in deep do-do while everyone argues over whether the group decided
X or Y and people start foraging through old minutes looking for the
relevant discussion.  This is perhaps particularly important for older
groups with a lot of history.

If there are relevant previous decisions, explain those to the group at
the outset of discussion, so that everybody is clear on them.  Often it
can shorten discussion greatly to have the issue framed in terms of
previous decisions - it adds to the sense of going steadily forward on an
issue rather than endlessly revisiting it without any group memory and
hence any opportunity to learn from what went before.  If the issues are
complex, you may need time in the agenda dedicated to this task.

Immediately before the meeting:

I believe it's important to take some time to prepare just before the
meeting starts rather than walking in cold.  Even 15 minutes can make
quite a difference.  Remind yourself of the agenda structure - think
about what might be sticky points in the process and how you might handle
them.  Make sure that any aids you need are available - paper and markers
for brainstorming are obvious ones, but maybe you will also need plans of
an area to be designed or similar things.  If there are to be group
exercises or games, remind yourself of how those are supposed to work so
you can lead them smoothly when the time comes.

Finally, I like to take a few minutes to go through a process of giving
up my opinions on the issues to be discussed.  I try to imagine how the
discussion could come out many different ways, and how all of those ways
could be good for my community.  Of course, this doesn't always work
completely :-), but I do find it helps - generally in meetings where I'm
facilitating, I can keep from having strong opinions on content.  (I
often do have strong opinions on process - but that's more appropriate to
the facilitator's role).

During the meeting:

Your job is to help the group reach consensus.  The first requirement is
to keep the discussion orderly.  In large meetings this almost certainly
means keeping a list of who is to speak in what order, and insisting that
people speak in turn.  In smaller meetings it may be more appropriate to
let people speak as they like unless the discussion becomes heated.
Handling the border-zone is tricky.

The second thing you have to do is to maintain a sense of the agenda, and
where the current discussion fits into it.  If a discussion doesn't fit
into the agenda at all, you need to point that out and ascertain if the
group really wants to do this instead of the item on the agenda.  If the
group is running out of time on an item, you need to suspend discussion
and make the group figure out what it wants to do process-wise.  Options
include borrowing time from some other agenda item, extending the
meeting, shelving the discussion to a subsequent meeting, punting it to a
committee, deciding not to make a decision at all.  Any of these may be
the right thing to do in a given circumstance.  One of the things N St
has taught me is that it is much better if these decisions are made
consciously, rather than allowing the discussion to drift on endlessly
until people get tired and frustrated.  (Which is not to say that I
always manage this part perfectly when I'm the one facilitating).

However, if you only do these first two things, you are not fulfilling
all of your role by any means.  Your most important task is to guide the
group to a consensus.  This is also the hardest part, and the part that
is most difficult to explain.  Basically, you have to listen to the
discussion for a while, and then pull out something that you hear people
saying that you think the whole meeting could agree to.  You then state
carefully what you think that thing is, and then ask whether people can
agree to what you have just stated.

This implies that you have to ask the rest of the folks who had planned
to contribute to the discussion to hold off on their comments (at least
for a while).  You have to more-or-less insist that people address
themselves to your statement.  I usually say something to the effect of
"I'll interrupt discussion here for a moment - it sounds to me as though
the group might be able to consense to X.  Is there anyone here who feels
that X is really not the right thing for this group to do?"

Here X is a statement of some decision about the issue at hand.

At that point, you might get someone religiously opposed to X, or you
might get people who basically want to work with X but modify it
slightly.  Best of all is the wonderful sound of silence - you have a
consensus on this part of things.  Make it a long silence so that anyone
who is in doubt can have time for their thoughts to crystallize enough to
speak; if it's a big decision, say it again and give people a second
chance to object.  Then say, "we have consensus on this issue" and
restate X so that your notetaker gets it down.

Another thing that can happen is that someone who had something they were
burning to say, but that doesn't particularly relate to X, can't resist
the temptation to say their thing.  Let them say it, point out gently
that it is not immediately relevant, and ask again for opinions directly
related to X.

Of course if you don't get agreemenent, you have to re-open discussion
and let people talk some more until you see another chance to state
something people can agree on.

If you *do* get agreement on your statement of X (which is the part that
makes facilitating meetings worthwhile), then try to frame the next part
of the process.  "Now that we have agreed that our common house carpet
should be wool, can we turn to the question of what color it should be.
Could people please address discussion to the color issue."  Or whatever.

Several considerations.  How long do you let discussion go before trying
to state an emerging consensus?  I certainly don't have a formula, but
you are trying to steer between Scylla and Charybdis.  Scylla is that you
allow discussion to meander on for a long time.  This is dangerous
because time will be wasted and people will get frustrated that no
progress is being made.  To some extent other people will try and step in
and do for you what you are not doing - this may help or it may lead to
conflict.  Charybdis, on the other hand, is where you allow very little
general discussion and are always trying to force people to address the
issue in the terms that you have framed it.  This has the danger that
people will begin to feel that they cannot make their point of view heard
and that they are being railroaded.  This makes them mad, and some of
them will start to block the process out of frustration and in order to
make themselves heard.  You have to strike a balance that has most of the
people leaving the meeting happy, not mad.

Obviously, a fair amount of creativity goes into how to formulate an
emerging consensus - I don't have any rules for this either.  Sometimes
it's easy - one person will say something, the next person will say "what
he said, plus ...", and a third will say "what they said, except when
...".  At that kind of point, you can step in, restate what has been
said, and ask for opposition.  *Don't* let this kind of opportunity pass
you by.  It makes me want to scream when I hear three or four people say
similar things like this but the facilitator fails to restate it, nail it
down, and get it into the notes.

Other times, you may need to listen to what sound like opposing views,
and extract out of those *some* element that both sides could agree on.
Often an issue is like a tarpaulin flapping in the wind, and you have to
focus the discussion on one corner to get it pegged down, before going
onto the rest of the discussion.

The hard problems come when an issue is very simple but people don't
agree.  If some people want blue, some want green, and some red, it's
hard to see what the common ground is.  If they all hold their opinions
strongly, you may be in for a long and frustrating discussion...  It may
be best to boot it to a committee of the most passionate, or shelve it
and hope people don't care as much in a month's time.

Finally, you must be seen to be impartial in your role as facilitator.  I
try (unsuccessfully) to express no opinions at all on content (as opposed
to process).  If you must express opinions, let them be few and mild.
What you absolutely must not do is use your power as facilitator to
foster your agenda.  Examples include cutting off people who disagree
with you, or restating "the feeling of the group" but allowing your own
opinion to substantially color your statement.  This pisses people off
big-time and will cause them to lose trust in your facilitation.  They
will then block the process just because they are mad at you and you are
running the process.

The way I see it is that when I facilitate, I give up my right to
influence the content in exchange for getting a lot of control over the
process.  If you really have strong opinions on content, get someone else
to facilitate that discussion.

Enough.  This will hardly fit on the one page Rob needs, but maybe it
will help somebody.

Stuart.
Stuart Staniford-Chen           |       Dept of Computer Science
stanifor [at] cs.ucdavis.edu            |       UC Davis, Davis, CA 95616
(916) 752-2149  - work          |               and
(916) 756-8697  - home          |       N St. Cohousing Community
Home page is http://everest.cs.ucdavis.edu/~stanifor/home.html