Density, detached vs attached
From: Eric Hart (harteFree-Net.Mpls-StPaul.MN.US)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 95 21:10 CST
    In my work with the Riverside group in Wisconsin we have discussed
the issues of density.  More specifically we have debated the issue of
whether or not units should be clustered with some shared walls or be detached
 units in a cluster.  The issue seemed to be a controversial one and one
which people have a large amount of 'baggage' and strong emotions about.
        I  have always had a predjudice against single family detached
housing, especially after my studies as an Urban Studies major.  The
group seemed to have two distinct 'sides', one which wanted the
traditional detached house and another which wanted to get away from all
that the detached house symbolized and have more shared walls and living
space.  We were never able to resolve this conflict and what happened was
that the people who were ready to move out to the site in the near future
started designing their own cluster.  They are still working out the
details.
        I don't want to impose my predjudice on any group but still I
think that the issue of attached vs detached should be addressed.
Clearly there are ecological benefits to building units with shared walls
and many of the problems that people encounter in existing shared wall
units can be remedied by intelligent design (noise, etc.).  The last
meeting we had before the whole group stopped planning was to explore
people's feelings and fears about living in a unit that has shared
walls.  Clearly this issue brings up very strong emotions, at least it
did with the group I work with.  I'm not sure what those emotions are but
I know that it certainly would be easier to ignore them and just do the
socially acceptable detached unit design.  Trying to dispell the old
single family detached house myth is important to me but I hit a brick
wall when I try start any kind of discussion about it.  Its like trying
to tell someone that their car isn't good for the environment.
Alternatives don't even enter their consciousness.
        I would be interested to know if other groups have tried to deal
with these issues and what the results have been.  Riverside is a rural
site so land considerations aren't very relevant (they have a 10-20 acre
building site).  If there was only 3 or 5 acres available, then I could
see where there wouldn't be a lot of room for debate (you would have to
use attached units to fit all the units in).  I do know that there some
cohousing communities that have more than a few acres so I would be
interested to know if this issue even came up.

Eric Hart
harte [at] free-net.mpls-stpaul.mn.us