Re: Stewing...
From: Fred H Olson WB0YQM (fholsonmaroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 95 12:55 CST
On Sun, 5 Mar 95 20:13 CST,
SmallCo [at] aol.com  <SmallCo [at] aol.com> wrote:

>Conspicuously absent for the six months I've been subscribed to this list is
>any mention of extended families as a starting point for a new community.
>Cohousing seems to be reviving many of the shared responsibilities that my
>family practiced a generation or two ago: shared meals, help with children,
>building together, etc.

I would guess the reason that extended families are not used as the basis
of cohousing relates to the fact that for many (most) of us these days
we dont live near our extended families.  Particularly not within
a short walk of each other.  Proximity is a key ingredient of cohousing-like
residentila community.

Many of us see cohousing as an alternative given the lack of nearby
extended family.  The reverse is also probably likely; people who do live
near family probably feel less need to organize cohousing.

The book _Creating Community Anywhere_
( by Carolyn R. Shaffer and Kristin Anundsen,
  1993, Putnam Publishing Group, New York, NY. )

uses the categories
"functional" and "conscious" (page 10 - 17).  Functional
communities happen more naturally while conscious communities
are 'artificial' in the sense that explicit effort went into their
creation.

I see no reason that we can't learn and borrow from each other but
Cohousing-L is clearly populated by those involved or interested in
"conscious" community.

Fred

--
Fred H. Olson   fholson [at] uci.com   (612)588-9532  Amateur radio: WB0YQM
1221 Russell Av N, Minneapolis,MN 55411 Sysop of COHOUSING-L listserv;