cooking rosters
From: Judy (BAXTER%EPIHUBVX.CIS.UMN.EDU)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 95 17:01 CST
I know Fred, you think this should all be summarized, but I tend to agree with
Stuart that a *lot* would be lost.

At MoCoCo we have a group dominated by "P's" (in the Meyer-Briggs typology) so,
not surprisingly, we have a very loose system.  The idea is that you do what
you want to do, and others do other things, and it will come out o.k.  We used
to cook 5 times a week

(for you newcomers, we are Phase 1 (8 apt-type homes in an elegant
"mansion/retirement home building) of a 23-home projected community.  Of the 8,
3 have "pseudo kitchens" of varying complexity, (microwaves, small frig, etc),
and 1 has a hot plate.  All can use common kitchen when desiredired )

but several people got busier (working more hours, part time grad school, tax
season, DEVELOPMENT work).  So it was 3 weekdays (MWF) for a while.  You just
sign up to cook, try to coral a co-cook, take acct of allergies, and do it.
It works a lot better than I thought it would.  Right now we are experimenting
with hiring someone who also cooks at a vegetarian restaurant, Thurs and Sunday
(best attended because often dinner follows a large group meeting).  Not sure
the economics can cover it ($3 instead of $2 for a meal, plus selling leftovers
(normally $1 per "leftover meal") but not impossible, if our non resident
members get more into it.

8 households, 11 adults, is definitely too small - can't wait for phase 2 to
move in.

Judy Baxter, Monterey Cohousing Community, (MoCoCo)
Twin Cities Area, Minneapolis/St.Paul Minnesota
e-mail: baxter [at] epivax.epi.umn.edu