Re: Coho & Makin' Dough --> Sustainability?
From: kolre001 [at] maroon.tc.umn.edu (kolre001maroon.tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 95 18:14 CST
On Thu, 2 Mar 95 00:21 CST,
Mmariner [at] aol.com  <Mmariner [at] aol.com> wrote:

>Assumption:  Most folks interested in cohousing care about the environment
>and want their lifestyle to be as sustainable as possible.  Yet many coho
>sites are out in the suburbs where at least some of the residents have to
>commute.  Bad, bad -- not very sustainable, right?  I mean if you're burning
>up a few swimming pools full of gasoline every year just to get to/from work,
>isn't that more than a little grotesque? <said with a *grin*, not a
>holier-than-thou look!>

I think groups are addressing this in a number of different ways.  If I'm
not mistaken, the rural vs. urban/nearby-suburban split was one of the
first in Twin Cities cohousing conferences.  (Y'all who've been there since
day one chime in and let us know if that's what you remember.)

MoCoCo, for example, is in a suburb on good city buslines and very near the
city.  There are suburbs, and then there are suburbs.  And most of the
other local groups seem to be trying to use part existing construction,
part new in urban environments.

I don't know of any urban cohousing locally trying to establish an inhouse
business, though I believe one of our rural groups is exploring that
extensively.