Re: Marketing Cohousing
From: Joaniblank (Joaniblankaol.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 95 02:31 CDT
When I asked this list for some one-or two sentence "definintions" of
cohousing for possible use when talking to those who had never heard of it I
got several good answers, which I will compile someday and post here, but my
favorite was "cohousing is a block party that never ends."

But seriously, Bill, (and others who would like to give the explanation
problem some attention) I do have a couple of ideas for marketing language
that I'll float here. One involves breaking marketing rule I once heard about
avoiding negativity and playing up the negatives, i.e., what cohousing is
not. You could tackle three or more common misperceptions in one text.

"When we talk about cohousing, people often assume we are referring to a
condo complex, a religious or intentional community, a retirement community
or a yuppie commune. But we are none of the above:

* Unlike a condo complex we are very close to our neighbors, we share
lawnmowers, play space, washing machines, child care and several dinners a
week in our spacious common dining room.

* Unlike a yuppie commune we (each household) have our own private
residences--yes, complete with private kitchens and baths, bedrooms and
living rooms.

* Unlike most intentional communities we do not share any political or
religious orientation, although we all share the intention of living more "in
community" than any of us experienced growing up.

* Unlike a planned community--planned by a developer or someone else--we, the
future residents, do the planning. The developers, architects and builders
work for and with us, and we often start the planning even before we have a
site to build on.

* Unlike a retirement community, we are inter-generational. Folks currently
living in CoHousing range from newborn to 85."

Another idea: (The more personal your markenting materials the better). The
core group in Santa Rosa, CA has put together a wonderful looseleaf notebook
which appears at every gathering in which each household has at one or pages
introducing themselves to each other and to newcomers/inquirers. They write
about their work, hobbies, special interests, and about why they are commited
to making cohousing a reality for themselves. They introduce their children
(if any) and include some family  or individulal snapshots.

I think a very pared down version of this with just one short paragraph about
each household (not even using real names if people prefer to be anonymous)
would fit on a single letter-size sheet and would be a great marketing tool.

P.S. We have the same problems explaining ourselves in "progressive"
California as you have in conservative Massachusetts. And incidentally,
planners, developers and bankers aren't all that different on the left coast
either.