Re: Community Within in MN seeks members
From: Kevin Wolf (kjwolfwheel.dcn.davis.ca.us)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 1995 23:29:10 -0700 (PDT)

Congratulations on your vision for developing a retrofit co-housing
community.  I believe you will realize this dream of yours.  When we
started N St in 1986, we only thought of how great it would be if someday
we had six houses together.  We let some of the houses which were two or
three away from our core slip by without having friends purchase or rent
them.  In retrospect we would have been better to have thought bigger.
Today we are 12 going on 13 houses, all contiguous.  My recommendation to
you is to find a neighborhood with the kitchens and living rooms at the
back of the house.  Hopefully the neighborhood is mostly rentals.  Then
start discussing with the owners the option to purchase directly from
them and not via real estate agents.  Maybe get an option or first right
of refusal from as many as possible.  Rent some.  Purchase as many as you
can.  And don't be afraid to be willing to pay some small amount ($5000)
over market for the houses.  (Be careful on this because you don't want
landlords thinking they have too captured of an buyer.)  When you think
about living the rest of your life in community, what is $5000 ($30-40
per month over 30 years)?  In the end, if you ever needed to sell your
house, because it is in community, you will be able  to sell it for more
(if you community is successful).

Good luck.  I hope you will keep us posted of your advancements.

---
Kevin Wolf
724 N St
Davis, CA 95616