Changing the subject?
From: Collaborative Housing Society (cohosocweb.apc.org)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 23:54 EDT
Harry, I think we're both saying the same things, but in different ways.
Yes, porches have proven to be an excellent mechanism for social networking
(good description), regardless of their original/designed intent.  I am
simply suggesting that lamenting the loss of the front porch or any other
"golden age", or worse, wondering who took them and why, this does not
really benefit our attempts to deal with where we are today.  Even if one
presumes for the sake of discussion that we did lose these things, this loss
happened for a reason, but not because someone took them away from us.

I am unwilling to accept the easy way out of victimhood.  Rather, I affirm
that cultural values are always revealed in what we wear, what we build,
what we idolize, what we ignore, etc,.  It is important to understand this,
because in the end it is our culture that we are (re)building when we talk
about cohousing.

But enough about porches, I wanted to think more about the owner-builder
stats you keep offering.  I intend to find out for myself, but for now, -
all I know is I can drive for over an hour in any direction from where I
live and see nothing but developer-built "brick" everywhere, whether 50
years old or yesterday's delivery.  More on this later.

P.S., I would like to hear your stories about your father - he sounds like
an interesting guy, working in interesting times.