Sustainable ag and cohousing
From: King Collins (greenmacpacific.net)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 07:12:46 -0500
Dear Cohousing folks:

I am working with Jeff Burns of Minneapolis on a grant (an important part
of which is) to bring together the cohousing and sustainable agriculture
movements in the Minneapolis area.

The general idea to show future farmers a way to capitalize their farms in
a labor intensive manner and how to create CSAs (Community Supported
Agriculture schemes) to encourage households to purchase food directly from
local farmers.  A demonstration farm is to be located in an area of a
higher income base, probably in the Minneapolis area.

A major goal is to get as many members as possible from the surrounding
neighborhood.

We are very interested in involving the co-housing movement in this
project. It is assumed that cohousers have a built in interest in
sustainable agriculture and the advantages it offers to consumbers.

Is it safe to assume that cohousers are likely to be more interested in
supporting local farmers in creating sustainable agriculture?

Is there anyone in the Minneapolis area who could assist us in this effort?

Jeff mentioned a cohousing project in St. Louis Park, a suburb of
Minneapolis.  Judging from the position of it on the map it would be in an
absolutely perfect location as it is only minutes from downtown
Minneapolis.

For the moment Jeff can be reached by posting to my email address.

Thanks for your help.

King Collins