RE: Request for info/help
From: Rob Sandelin (Exchange) (RobsanExchange.MICROSOFT.com)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 10:35:17 -0500
Eric asked: I have been
learning about cohousing over the past few years and have two
problems/questions.  I am confused about the various types of
cohousing--communal living, intentional communities, co-operatives, etc.
 Could someone help clarify this for me?  Thanx
Here is my understanding - which may be very incomplete:

Intentional Communities covers cohousing, communes, co-ops etc.  Its a =
broad concept to define people living together on purpose, distinguished =
from most neighborhoods which are random associations of people.

Cohousing is one form of intentional community which usually is defined =
by private ownership of homes, a community center building, and some =
level of sharing of ownership of other things.

A commune is where the group owns all the homes, and usually some, or =
all the assets of the individual are held in some way by the group for =
use by the group. Many communes in my area run one or more community =
business ventures to support the group.

A co-op is where the group owns all the property and individuals may own =
shares, which they can exchange or sell when they leave.  Individual =
assets are usually privately held. =20

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood

  • Request for info/help EGold826, August 23 1995
    • RE: Request for info/help Rob Sandelin (Exchange), August 24 1995