Listing affordable possibilities
From: 'Judith Wisdom (wisdompobox.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 04:56:26 -0500
Bob Mariner wrote:>
> Leah, don't know how new you are to coho-L, but affordability has been an
> ongoing topic.  Several times it's been discussed that several groups are
> expanding the cohousing paradigm to include low cost renovation of apt.
> buildings to be cohousing.
>
> Some friends and I here in Boulder (where real estate is expensive) are
> looking at two adjacent houses that currently have 10 bedrooms among 5
> apartments.  The owner wants $600K for both which means we'd have to have
> around $150K down.(?)  Divide that by 6-10 people and it could be semi
> affortable.  Other towns are a lot cheaper -- in a nearby town there's a 20
> unit apt. building for $450K.
>
> N-Street Cohousing was started by neighbors on one end of a block
> cooperating, then taking down fences.  Marsh Commons is using a truck stop
> for a commonhouse.
>
> The paradigm *is* expanding!
>
> Mike M

Given the info Mike supplied above, and given the population of people
who are interested in coho but need to find cheaper arrangements, be they
part of more expensive ones or unto themselves, I think it would be
terrific not only if all communities took another look into possibilities
for having a few less expensive unites available.  But very important
would be if someone could compile an ongoing guide to affordable places.
It's a maze now, and an impossible one.  The discussion and search for
different models of affordable should continue, with emphasis on
integration, but someone should collect the already extant ones, possibly
making it a file on this list for starters.

Judith