Re: COHOUSING-L digest 588
From: Mmariner (Mmarineraol.com)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 22:57:26 -0500
Leah said:

>My husband and I were involved in several
>developing cohousing sites in the triangle area of North Carolina
>and in the end realized that we really can't afford cohousing at
>this time. We're in our fifties so it's not as if our income will
>change much in the future, but there is a chance that we might be
>able to afford it in a few years once the places are built.

Leah, don't know how new you are to coho-L, but affordability has been an
ongoing topic.  Several times it's been discussed that several groups are
expanding the cohousing paradigm to include low cost renovation of apt.
buildings to be cohousing.

Some friends and I here in Boulder (where real estate is expensive) are
looking at two adjacent houses that currently have 10 bedrooms among 5
apartments.  The owner wants $600K for both which means we'd have to have
around $150K down.(?)  Divide that by 6-10 people and it could be semi
affortable.  Other towns are a lot cheaper -- in a nearby town there's a 20
unit apt. building for $450K.

N-Street Cohousing was started by neighbors on one end of a block
cooperating, then taking down fences.  Marsh Commons is using a truck stop
for a commonhouse.

The paradigm *is* expanding!

Mike M