Re: Re: affordable housing
From: William Dean (deanwiassembly.ca.gov)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 19:04:51 -0500
>  I've actually had some experience in conventional do-it-yourself building -
> it takes forever and is totally exhausting!   I can't imagine trying to
> build with "local materials" (?hay bales, ?pressed earth)  while  holding
> down  full-time jobs!

In my case, and in the case of many others as well, I would lose a lot more
money by quitting my job and picking up hammer and saw, than I would save
by doing some of the construction work myself.  Besides, I don't enjoy
construction work.  I am interested in living with neighbors, not building
edifices.  I consider that the concept of cohousing is flexible enough to
include those of us who don't have bulging muscles on our arms.

Bill Dean