Re: Common House Design
From: Dan Everett (dmepollux.cs.uga.edu)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 10:29:46 -0600
> From cohousing-l [at] uci.com Mon Nov 27 15:47:35 1995
> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 14:19:19 -0600
>
> From: JPCOACH [at] aol.com
> Subject: Common House Design

> ... one of the members in our group (who's not on line)
> asked me to share this with you all and get your response:
>
> "I'm inclined to think that sewing rooms, craft rooms, reading rooms, and
> kids rooms are part of most common houses and yet seem universally underused.
>  Whom are we trying to impress?  I think we should forget about things that
> sound wholesome and and start think about things that sizzle!  A workout room
> comes to mind.  How about an indoor/outdoor swimming pool?  I think we should
> think of ourselves as country club managers trying to attract new members.
>  An electronic game room, mini TV theatres...
>
> Along these lines I would ask the following heretical question:  Given that
> it might be used for dinner only 2 nights a week, is there justification for
> immediately building a kitchen and/or dining room in our common house?

At Kenney Ridge we are working on a shoestring and rehabbing the old
farmhouse on our land. We're knocking out a wall to make a big room which
can be used for dinners, meetings, dance/yoga classes, ping-pong or whatever
by using foldup furniture.

Dan Everett
Kenney Ridge Community
Athens, GA

        Diskettes should be cleaned and waxed once a week.
Microscopic metal particles can be removed by waving a
powerful magnet over the surface of the disk. Any stubborn
metallic shavings can be removed with scouring powder and soap.
When waxing the diskette, make sure the surface is even. This
will allow the diskette to spin faster, decreasing access time.

        -- from "Proper care of floppy diskettes", author unknown.