Re: Conflict Resolution
From: Mac Thomson (ganeshrmi.net)
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 11:05:16 -0500
> Mable Kinzie wrote:
>
> We are developing our conflict resolution procedures, and are wondering
> what procedures cohousing groups follow when a member refuses to resolve a
> conflict.  What type of action is taken by your group?

I think that conflict resolution is one of the very most important aspects of
any
true community.  Every book I've read on community, from Scott Peck to Shaffer
and
Anundsen, discuss it at some length.  Whenever two or more people get together
there
will eventually be conflict.  How that conflict is resolved determines what
type of
relationship is present, and if that conflict is resolved with compassion, true
community is present.

For conflict resolution to work, the parties involved must agree that the
relationship is valuable to them and that they are willing to attempt to
resolve the
conflict compassionately in order to strengthen it.  If you don't have this
agreement, the process is in deep trouble.  But if you do, you can simply
remind the
parties of what they have agreed to and encourage them to reflect on that and
respect
it.

We wrote up conflict resolution procedures which we really haven't used yet,
but
which I'd be happy to share with you.  Request via email (will arrive
not-so-nicely
formatted) or snail mail by sending me a SASE.

Mac Thomson
862 CR 503
Bayfield, CO   81122

--
           Mac Thomson                   San Juan Cohousing
           ganesh [at] rmi.net                Durango, Colorado

"If war is the violent resolution of conflict,
  then peace is not the absence of conflict,
  but rather,
  the ability to resolve conflict without violence."
                         - C.T. Lawrence Butler