Community size
From: Rowena Conkling (rowenacworldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 19:16:00 -0500
Thanks to all of your who took the time to respond to my inquiry re
advantages and disadvantages of different sized communities.  Clearly, there
is no perfect size.  For everyone who said "we're just right" someone else
said "we're too big (or small)."

We looked at our demographics which include a lot of singles and concluded
that 41 units would give us about 80 people, including children.  This many
people seems to put us in the high-middle of numbers of coho communities.
Financially, of course, the larger number is helpful, and may give us the
cushion we need to assist some families with affordability issues.  It will
also give us enough adults to cook, etc. on a reasonable rotation.  In any
case, we may end up staging a part of the construction if we don't have all
our units spoken for by the time we start building this Fall.  In short, it
looks as if we are going for 41 units, at least for the present.  It is
always easier to pull back from a larger number than to increase the number
of units later.

Again, thanks for your help.

Rowena C
Cambridge Cohousing - It's Happening Now!