Re: Community size
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 08:35:38 -0700 (PDT)
RoseWind Cohousing (long built) in Port Townsend WA has 24 households. For
various reasons, several households don't participate. About 16 participate
fairly regularly (meetings, work, social), with the rest on a spectrum in
between. I'd be concerned that with a small number (like 6-12), a few who
didn't participate could create a significant work crunch, as well as making
decision making trickier, if a few were absent. On the other hand, perhaps with
fewer people it is more evident that participation is vital. With a larger
group, I think some people just figure "somebody" -- Magic Elves??-- will
replace the light bulb, buy the toilet paper, weed the patio, deal with
finances and legalities, etc. And so far, "somebody" here does attend to
things, though we "somebodies" (a friend calls us the Diligencia) wish we had
more help!

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau