re: metering common heating system
From: Tom Lent (tlentigc.apc.org)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 16:19:41 -0500
Marty notes that I said we will have ONE water heater for each duplex will
provide all hot water AND heating for two units for greater energy
efficiency (incidentally it is more space and first cost efficient as well).
Marty then asked how we will meter this. We will put four water flow meters
on each water heater, one for each unit's domestic water usage and one for
each unit's hydroniv space heating loop. Then we will read the meters once a
month around the same day as the utility reads the meter and plug the
readings into a spreadsheet to figure out how to split the bill. It will be
a bit of a pain (one more chore), but we expect it to be worth it.

Tom Lent - Berkeley Cohousing (Flying Palms) where construction of the last
phase is well underway and just two units remain to be sold!
Tom Lent * 2220 Sacramento St * Berkeley, CA 94702-1907
           email: tlent [at] igc.org * phone: 510/845-5243