Re: Consensus training
From: Dspreitzer (Dspreitzeraol.com)
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 21:40:53 -0600
After reading the responses on this thread, I realize I could charge more!:)
Just last night I ran a 2-hour workshop on how to run effective meetings and
how to use consensus as a decsion-making tool.  The alternative school that
had invited me to help them with their process passed the hat and I came home
$40 richer.  Seemed fine at the time:)

I'll mention the resources I use.  One is the Facilitator's Handbook. I'm not
sure if coho guru Rob Sandelin has it on the web but he sells his 10-page
wealth of information for a nominal fee.  His phone number is 206-788-1613, or
his email address is: floriferous [at] msn.com.

Another very valuable guide is on the web and it's written by Kevin Wolf of N
Street Cohousing. He has put together a 20 page manual called, The Making of a
Good Meeting.  It's excellent. You can find it on his web page at
http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/go/kjwolf/facilitation/index.html

CT Lawrence  Butler  has a handbook on formal consensus decison-making called
On  Conflict and Consensus. It's good too, but not as hands-on as the above
manual.  Food not Bombs puts it out. I bought mine for $5 years ago.  At the
time their phone number was 617-864-8786.

Good luck to you and your group. I would highly recommend reading these
guides.  Both Kevin's and Rob's manuals are very easy reading and hands-on.
If several people in the group read them that would be a good start.  Also
finding someone who can help guide you through the process would be a big
help. I know in the early days of N Street, we had facilitators help us
through our process - and I think we had them at meetings where we were trying
to decide our process. It was very beneficial and worth it.

Donna Spreitzer
former N Streeter currently in Toronto where the snow is falling and all I can
think about is heading back to N Street for the holidays.  Only  8 more days!