Selling Units after move-in
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsghotmail.com)
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:56:44 -0600
We anticipate the possibility of our first post-move-in sale at New View
(Acton MA), so I thought I'd check up on policy and advice from other
groups.

We are organized as a condo, and so the group has very little control
over a sale, other than a right of first refusal, which allows the
association to match a bona fide price.

If there are other groups out there that are organized similarly, do you
have procedures you have used and liked (or used and not liked) about
how a seller and the group participate in finding a buyer & a price? I'm
particularly interested in the meaning of a 'waiting list' in a
free-market situation. We probably would have a number of potential
interested buyers. I've been thinking about the natural goal-tension
between the seller who usualy wants to maximize the price, and the
group, that might want the order on the waiting list to mean something.
But how can order make a difference if any potential buyer later in the
waiting list (or not on the waiting list..) could bid the price up
beyond what the first person on the waiting list wants to pay?

Thx in advance for your usual wisdom & experience...

-
capsule news summary: All 24 households have been living on our
beautiful sloped far-suburban landscape 50 minutes outside of Boston in
a clustered mix of attached and detached houses abutting 100 acres of
conservation land for between 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 years. We have the hole
dug & the budget agreed on for the common house, and plans are moving
into the design development stage. We have twice-weekly or so rotating
potlucks. Our biggest recent issue was the placement of our first
out-building: a shed for tractor & supplies. By the way: this email was
NOT a formal announcement of any units for sale!! This was just a
request for process suggestions so we can huddle & agree on how to
proceed. There MAY be an announcement shortly, from a seller or from New
View..

---
jimsg [at] hotmail.com
Jim Snyder-Grant
(please excuse mandatory ad appended by my email provider)